Saturday, September 30, 2006

 

Some unusual thing flying in the living room

On Thursdayday night around 11 O'clock I was pealing a pear(梨, the juicy and delicious kind) in the kitchen to eat right before going to bed. Suddenly I saw a shadow of something flying across the kitchen. Thinking that it's just a fly or something I ignored it and kept on working on my pear. After a while the flying thing flew right by my head and frightened me a bit. Curiously I looked up and there was a black thing that looked like a big moth. It was hard to tell adzactly what it was because it kept on flying. I kept trying to figure out what it was as it started to fly in the living room and along the hall way. I opened a window and some doors to try and get it to fly out, but it just didn't go out. It wouldn't stop flying either, so I got a broom and gently hit it. It went crashing down behind our wood stove, so I swept it out of there to see what it was.

It was a baby bat! I've never seen a bat flying in someone's kitchen before, so I was quite surprised. I quickly called my sisters(because my brother's in Canada) to see what I found.

We poked at its very soft body and tried getting it to open and close it's wings. We were able to see its tiny feet Which you can see on the left side of its body. It was a very fascinating fellow.

We managed to get it on the broom and take it outside to let it go. It flew away as if nothing was wrong. The funny thing about all this is that we just saw "Batman begins" a couple days ago.


Comments:
it's not a baby bat. It's a bat. Most breeds of bat are usually quite small, nothing larger than a mouse with wings.

We get quite a lot of them around the countryside here, there have even been some in our church, but in the UK they are protected and it's illegal to touch them without a special handling license...
 
Wow, I'm not the only one to be surprised by a bat in the kitchen! I had a bat fly at my head (in the kitchen) once when I was staying at the Hasegawas' farm. I just thought that it was because we were way out in the country. I'm surprised that you found one in your house!
 
It's not a baby bat? I guess bats aren't really known for their size.
They really do look like a mouse with wings like you said, John.

Hey Leta,
I didn't realize that many other people have seen bats too.
I hear that you and Adam are going to Korea soon. I hope that you'll get used to it.
 
Hi Aaron. I didn't know you had a blog. That's neat about that bat.
Sarah Elliot
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?