Thursday, November 02, 2006

 

Cement Mixing and Daylight Saving

This week I learned how cement is made! I found out that it's quite simple. You just have to mix a bunch of stuff as if you're making a cake. The ingredients are 4 things. Gravel, sand, cement powder and water. Thankfully we didn't have to mix these stuff with a bucket and shovel or something. We used a very nice cement mixer(runs with electricity).

The amount I mixed was 10 scoops of gravel, 6 scoops of sand, about 2 scoops of cement powder and about 1/3 a bucket of water. My Dad figured it out by making the first batch. We worked together while I did the shoveling and my Dad did the spreading and smoothing.


That was a lot of shoveling. I got to tell you. I shoveled all the sand and gravel that was on the truck, which was quite full and shoveled a bunch of sand and gravel that was a pile on the ground after we ran out with what was on the truck. By the time we finished I was cream crackered. It was good exercise though.

I know that some countries in the world just moved their clocks one hour ahead. I think it's a brilliant idea. My question is "Why hasn't Japan started doing it?" It will save farmers to not need to wake up so early in the morning and help people like me to be able to skateboard for extra minutes(not that I can't skateboard at night). You basically can't shoot a basketball after 5 o'clock, because it's too dark.

Oh, well I guess I just need to get up earlier and and go to bed earlier until summer comes along again or when Japan decides to save daylight.


Comments:
Here we've gone back an hour, so as to make the sun rise earlier (making it safer for kids to go to school I guess). Whereas it gets dark earlier too. So you'd have to do it the other way round to the UK in Japan to get what you wanted :)
 
Actually daylight savings is a summer phenomenon, not a winter one... The time we follow in the winter is "actual" time and the clocks change for the summer...

The reason being that most farming and so on is done in the late spring summer and early autumn... So shifting the clocks a bit allows for a longer work day (keeping light later) and makes for more productive farming... So I'm afraid it wouldn't help winter skateboarding.
The reason we switch back in the winter is because it will get light a whole hour later and I think we all know it is much easier to stay up past sunset than get up before sunrise! ;-)
 
Come to think of it you're right. It makes sence that you forward the time in summer for longer farming time and it makes sence to switch back to the actual time in winter, because you don't adxactly need the extra light in the evening since most harvesting is about done.

Now I realize that they didn't forward the time, but actually backed it up.
I was wrong now I understand.

So what I really wanted was the world to forward the time in winter even though we don't really need it.
 
Or move down to Australia or New Zealand every winter and get a second summer!
 
I guess that would work, too.
 
come visit Australia Aaron!
 
I'd love to visit Australia. It must be nice there right now.
 
hey aaron, just saw your blog about hillsong concert. i just saw them last monday here in the phil.. They were awesome..really great! anyway, i am really interested in Japan and even praying that God will give me a Japanese Christian boyfriend. I am just not sure if there is one. Anyway, can you give me the email adds of the chapels that you know of? thanks
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?